commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [Lang][Util] Merge lang and util?
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:56:27 GMT

How about a list of what you're suggesting for a Core project?

I see nothing in Util which would apply, except maybe BitField.

Are you against the concept of mapping Commons projects to Java.*
packages? Would you prefer Commons.Net, Commons.IO, Commons.Lang and
Commons.Collections to all form Commons.Core? Maybe Commons.Codec as well?

I'm not that up to date on the Transformers/Predicates/Comparators issue,
I think it is due to a series of chain-like classes all being the same
generic thing, and that you'd like a commons set of interface like things
to be in a Core package.

Plus some Pattern like things.

So far the main idea I've been reacting to is merging Lang and Util. This
would be bad when you look at the contents of Util as really those
packages are Misc. So I think the concept you're suggesting would be to
rename Util to Misc, then give the Lang proposal the ability to take in
generic components that are not related to IO/Collections/Net etc. Doing
this would invalidate the name Lang and see it renamed Core.

??

Hen