commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:45:49 GMT

On 21 Jun 2002, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:22, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Mainly:
> >
> > 1) Maven is in rapid development. When b5 is released, it will mean
> > upgrading all Commons projects.
>
> That's not true. With b5 a build.xml file won't be required so
> delegators won't have to be twiddled with and though it is in continuing
> development the auto updating facility does work. One of the primary
> goals of Maven is to make the transition easier but in this last burst
> of changes people have moved ahead of the b4 release which does cause
> problems.

And a b4 project.xml will work fine in b5??

Not all project.xml's in Commons have pomVersion. I think I'm wrong to
call this b4, so my fault not yours, but they'll need upgrading.
Commons.util is the example I normally look at.

> > 2) I see no documentation in the Commons projects telling me which version
> > of Maven we need. Furthermore, I don't believe it is at all easy to run
> > multiple versions of maven as the same user.
>
> It should be handled for you automatically but if this isn't working
> then we can work something out. Having multiple versions of Maven
> installed will definitely happen and we need to deal with it.

Currently it's not dealt with, so I'm unhappy tying Commons over to it.

> > 3) There is no need to use build.xml with Maven anymore. By rolling them
> > back we can have both the old system and the new system working fine.
>
> For b5 the build.xml file won't be necessary and then there can be a
> complete legacy build.xml file. But it should be generated from the
> project descriptor. At that point we could probably add something to
> generate the legacy build when the project.xml file changes.

I'm in favour of:

Bringing project.xml's up to date.
Using the maven2 script to generate Maven.
Rolling back the build.xml's so they can still work in the old fashion.

Users get the same ant system with the same instructions and the same faq
answers.

Commons.developers get to setup a cron job to create mavenised sites
nightly. [I have a machine which can do this if desired, was going to get
it going anyway until a machine at the central apache location is
chosen.]

I'm a big fan of Maven, I just want to keep Commons sane for building.

Hen