commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [Avalon Packages -> Commons] We want to move packages to Commons: can you help? [Commons-Avalon]
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:08:47 GMT

> >> 1)
> >> Zip, tar and bzip2 seem like potential packages of one project. Codec? Or
> >> a new one named Compress or some such?
>
> how about org.apache.commons.io.compress?

Re: Threads
> >> I can understand not putting them in Lang. Doesn't make sense to
> >> fatten that up with stuff just because Thread is in java.lang.
>
> org.apache.commons.lang.thread

There's a worry that things like IO and Lang might lose focus if lots of
things end up in them. The other side of the coin is that having lots of
jars and projects around makes things more confusing. Seems the choices
are:

1) org.apache.commons.thread in project Thread
   org.apache.commons.compress in project Compress

2) org.apache.commons.lang.thread in project Lang
   org.apache.commons.io.compress in project IO

3) org.apache.commons.lang.thread in project Thread
   org.apache.commons.io.compress in project Compress.

I'll ignore the fourth combination as being wrong. Anyone with any
preferences?

Hen