commons-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:56:14 GMT
Stephen,

chances are that people who download commons components may not heard of
ant.

That's what binary distributions are for. How a project gets built is only
important if you want to change the source code and contribute them back.
At that point you have to know something about ant.

If there are things you'd like to know about Maven, feel free to post here
or to turbine-maven-user. I'm happy to help.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

"Stephen Colebourne" <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
06/22/02 08:59 AM
Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"

"Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

bcc

Subject
Re: unmavenising Commons projects

From: <costinm@covalent.net>
> > > We do have a requirement minimising external dependencies, and
> > > the commons components must be built and used by people who use
> > > a variety of build systems.
> >
> > The requirement minimizing external dependencies is useful for users
of
> > the components.  Whether a component is built using maven or directly
> > using ant does not affect whether the component can be used within a
> > larger project.
>
> It does - people working on a project should be able to build easily
> all the components from commons they are using. Don't forget those
> components are shared by all projects - we all use them and maintain
> them.

I'm definitely not an expert in this area, which is why I'm commenting.
Maven is a mystery to me. It seems to have some purpose to share build
mechanisms between projects, to produce lots of fancy supporting docs and
info etc.etc. But I don't 'get it' - I suspect I'm not alone.

All I realy want is to type ant in the directory and compile the code. No
more. In commons this seems especially important. (Confession: I use
Eclipse
so I don't use ant directly, thus hadn't realised how much this was an
issue)

It seems to me that maven is useful for committers (who understand it). I
am
less convinced that someone just downloading the source of an individual
commons components will be very pleased to find they need a maven.jar to
run
ant. Liklihood is they won't have even heard of maven.

Stephen