commons-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: jexl again...
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:37:07 GMT

Yep Geir, that was it. My lack of understanding of the jexl syntax was what
got me.

Jelly builds just enough on jexl to make it a better choice for me.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

                    "Geir

                    Magnusson Jr."       To:     Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                    <geirm@adeptra       cc:

                    .com>                Subject:     Re: jexl again...

                    06/13/02 03:06

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to "Jakarta

                    Commons

                    Developers

                    List"

On 6/12/02 1:06 PM, "dion@multitask.com.au" <dion@multitask.com.au> wrote:

> The hassle I had with Jexl was using the context to set a variable to a
> value to be evaluated later. With Jexl, it meant I couldn't have a string
> with the same value as a variable name, i.e. setting 'name' to 'value'
> meant if I evaluated 'name' I always got 'value'. Good except that I'm
> trying to fit in with ant's property / value naming style.

Ah.  I think I understand what you mean.  Jelly adds the ${foo} decorations
to allow the distinction between references and constants, and to not
inflict one kind of indicator.  So jelly uses ${foo}, but others could do
$foo, %foo, <foo>, etc...  Jexl accomodates all by not inflicting one way
on
the user.

If you wanted a constant string 'name', then just put single or double
quotes around it...

    'name'

Does that address what you were saying?  (I am wondering if I missed your
point...)

Geir

mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>

>> --