commons-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:07:15 GMT
Costin,

most projects run with a build.xml for ant and a build-maven.xml for maven
during the transition period as Hen has pointed out.

Given maven wont be using a build file soon, I can't see how it can
support your requirement of  "it can support the
current build files at least as well as gump".

> Removing the ant file in a component without a vote is unacceptable
> regardless of what Maven does.
So reinstate it. Or find out who the committer was to the projects you
consider broken and request that they reinstate it.

I don't mind their being multiple build files, but pontificating about it
seems pointless.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

costinm@covalent.net
06/24/02 05:03 AM
Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"

Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

bcc

Subject
Re: unmavenising Commons projects

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Costin,
> Maven is about more than just build files. Notice how some commons
sandbox

Yes, Ant is about build files and building, and building is my
concern. I would like to be able to use Ant for building, with minimal
interference.

If maven can't deal with the 'plain' ant at least at the same level
with Gump, I don't care about the other features, and I'll wait
for another tool that provides them without 'deprecating' build.xml
or trying to make ant a 'legacy'.

> Again, how much of the existing maven process must be available in a
> vanilla ant build file?

I think every common component should build with plain ant -creating
the 'jar' at least, since that's what other projects need. If the
commiters of a component decide to generate build.xml - that's fine, but
I'll not vote for that in the projects I work.

I won't use Maven for myself or in a project until it can support the
current build files at least as well as gump - but I don't want to
stop others from using maven ( as long as they don't force me to
use it ).

Removing the ant file in a component without a vote is unacceptable
regardless of what Maven does.

Costin