commons-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:51:21 GMT
Costin,

I didn't think changes to the build process of a commons component
required a vote. Since there isn't a standard build process, are you
saying that anything that can be built by just calling ant is ok and
doesn't require a vote?

I missed that somewhere in the commons charter :)

What if, for example, maven or centipede became an ant task?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

costinm@covalent.net
06/22/02 07:12 AM
Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"

Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

bcc

Subject
Re: unmavenising Commons projects

I don't remember seeing any proposal or vote on requiring maven for
the builds of commons components.

Given the goals of commons I think it is completely wrong to add those
requirements without a formal proposal.

We do have a requirement minimising external dependencies, and
the commons components must be built and used by people who use
a variety of build systems.

Again, I have nothing against providing an optional build file for
maven and/or centipede - but I think it is a very serious issue if
commons components can't be built with plain ant and minimal
pain.

Costin