commons-dev mailing list archives

From rsi...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: [commons-logging] New services API
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:08:29 GMT

>> Any objection to checking the 'service' package in under logging and
making
>> changes to the logger as described?
>>

>I like the concept of abstracting out this logic (mabye we could call it
>"discovery" to avoid name conflict with the "services" package already in
>the sandbox?).  The design pattern is definitely useful and reusable.

Services is a noun, discovery is a verb...  Agree that I've got a
collision.  Also agree that services is overloaded.  I'm going to create
the 'discovery' tree in the sandbox, rename the package to 'org.apache.
commons.service.discovery', and keep my class names as-is.  We can
straighten any remaining concerns out in the sandbox.

I'd also advocate that the existing (more heavy-weight/configurable)
service package be renamed to 'org.apache.commons.service.manager'.  Olag,
what do you think?