commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Cook <>
Subject RE: [HttpClient] New local port with each request
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:10:38 GMT
Try reusing the HttpMultiClient() object.  You are creating eight of them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Evert Hoff []
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 7:10 AM
Subject: [HttpClient] New local port with each request

Please explain to me the relationship between local ports and

I have attached a Test program that downloads 4 files from Tomcat twice.
I am using the HttpMultiClient with the default settings, so only two
connections should be used.

But, the output of tcpdump (sniffer.log) shows that 8 different local
ports have been used (3106-3113) - one for each request that was made. I
would have expected just two local ports to be used.

My setup: - Windows 2002; Was running the Test program - Linux; Was running Tomcat

The tcpdump command that I used on the linux machine was:
tcpdump -nli eth0 src host and dst host \
and dst port 8080 | tee /tmp/sniffer.log

I have very little understanding of this technology, so any help would
be appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message