commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack, Paul" <pj...@sfaf.org>
Subject RE: [collection] Collections for primitives
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:58:25 GMT
> Yes, I remember arguing before in this thread that false was
> more useful
> than an exception for contains(Object). Also -1 for indexOf()
> and false for
> remove(). So yes I would like to see the primitive
> collections changed.

What do you think of having an additional set of decorators
for making "fail-fast" collections permissive?  Eg, a
decorator whose contains(Object) method looks like:

   public boolean contains(Object o) {
       try {
           return innerCollection.contains(o);
       } catch (ClassCastException e) {
           return false;
       } catch (IllegalArgumentException e) {
           return false;
       } catch (NullPointerException e) {
           return false;
       }
   }

Then if the primitive and Predicate collections were written
to be fail-fast, and that behavior was not desired, then users
could use the new decorators to eliminate it.

-Paul