commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <ola.b...@arkitema.se>
Subject Re: [Lang][Util] Merge lang and util?
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:43:14 GMT
>For commons to work, each
>time a bit of code is committed there needs to be
>thought to say - is this
>the right place for it, or can it be even more
>generic.

Stephen, you are absolutely right about what shared low level general code can do, especially
when it comes to the sharing of generic interfaces (Factory, Predicate etc).

But my experience is that not all are used to think in terms of \"trying to solve the general
problem and put the solution somewhere else\". Especially if the solution emerges from solving
a particular problem. You can\'t just put such a solution outside your own project\'s package
structure, without hearing the other\'s opinion about it. Others might have other requirements
for that same type of functionality (like a Transformer that throws declared exceptions for
instance). That is a developement process in itself.

Maybe one has to show by example what it would mean to outfactor general classes/patterns/interfaces
into a lang/util/base package.

/O