commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <>
Subject Re: [all commons] Proposal: CommonsCommons package
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:09:16 GMT
>This requires agreement from collections as its not

Well, for copying the classes and interfaces in another package, one doesn\'t need their opinion.
On the other hand: for them to use this other package, it is all dependent on their opinion
and their opinion only.

>Thus there is a time factor there.
>Architecture/patterns/design is fine, but in the end
>we need code.

True. I can supply code, implementing the patterns I have suggested (spent last two years
trying different methods to implement them).

But consensus is needed at some level for others to use the common implementations (I guess
the commons project as a whole has the same situation in relation to the other projects: \"Hey,
use _our_ stuff instead!\").

What I said was (removing the words \'patterns\', \'architecture\' or \'design\'): reach agreement
on how a general thing is to be done. Without the agreement between at least two component
groups, the whole idea of single implementation of the general mechanisms are of no use anyway.

Java offers this possibility for fine grain binary object reuse. Done right it translates
into a massive heck of many things achieved with absolutely minimal effort. And even if such
an ideal case is never to happen, one single general mechanism is a bargain.

But it is dependent on 1) someone seeing how a certain mechanism could be used in more contexts
than now, and 2) everybody else\'s ability to acknowledge what this person has seen.

This will probably mean a slower pace. The role of such a \"general reuse project\" is often
to come in afterwards, suggesting refactoring of existing API:s (not necessarily afterwards
but in practice this is often the case). If and only if the benefits of refactoring are so
great that it is worth doing, it will be done. If not, the whole idea is pointless in practice
(albeit fine in theory).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message