commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [CLI] -D a special case?
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:39:09 GMT
>> Thats because you are using the POSIX parser.  If you use
>> the GNU parser the "-Dname=value" is treated as the option.
>> I could check if the second character is an option and the
>> "=" character is also present in the option.  If
>> so then set its value to the rest of the string.  The value
>> would then be name=value.  What do you think of this?
>
> Yah, I dunno.  I think I'd personally turn that option off and
> do it my way.  Sometimes, there won't be an equals sign, if
> someone is just attempting to set something to true;
>
> 	-Doptimize
I suppose a better way to check would be, if the second
character is an option, and the full string is not an option,
then treat what follows the second character as the value.
Let the user decide what the value of the option represents
and let them process it accordingly.

When you say 'I think I'd personally turn that option off...'
do you mean that you wouldn't provide a different parser
implementation, or that you wouldn't provide a special case
now.

> If it's something I could turn off (or is off by default), then
> sure, go for it. ;)
I can definitely make it optional and I agree it probably
should be.

-John K