commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <>
Subject RE: How do I get off this list?
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:17:59 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael A. Smith []
Sent: Sun 6/16/2002 2:57 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: How do I get off this list?

You wrote:

My personal filtering scheme is completely manual.  I look at the
subject, and if its something that doesn't sound interesting, I move on
to the next message.  :)

Which components are you interested in (maybe your component generates
enough chatter to arrant its own list)?  Are you interested in
development talk or just user talk (maybe a commons-user is now
appropriate)?  Maybe it's just the non-released projects that generate
too much chatter ( in which case a commons-sandbox-dev might be

As the first person to (publically) say something about the traffic
volume, go ahead and propose something specific that would make you
happier.  :)

My reply:  Unfortunately, the place I read this most and the place where there are the most
problems is at work where we have Microsoft Exchange as the server.  (Spare the brickbats,
it's not my decision and I agree with you in advance.  Exchange sucks as does the filtering
in Outlook.)  Also I'm addicted to checking email the second I see the damned icon in the
desktop tray.  Too bad outlook pings me this way even if it successfully sends the file to
a filtered folder - which is even worse.  I suppose the best thing I can do is get them to
give me a unix machine at work which I can configure, separately from my at-work email account
for list handling and get it set up right.

My work with commons unfortunately is with two of the quieter subprojects sandbox-net and
commons-logging.  So an ungodly high amount of the message traffic is of no concern to me.
 If 5 or 10% concerned me, I could learn to live with it.

That said, there are a couple of things that could be looked at:
1. split sandbox from the others.  I definitely agree.
2. CVS notifications have more patterns that need filtering than straight messages to the
list.  It would be nice if this could be cleaned up.  It would also be nice if you could subscribe
without CVS messages.
3. I suppose the nicest would be a system where you could subscribe/unsubscribe to individual
subprojects but I don't suppose that system has been written yet.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message