commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Reflect] Summary of points and relationship with BeanUtils
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:35:51 GMT

On Wednesday, June 19, 2002, at 08:14 PM, Juozas Baliuka wrote:

> <snip>
>> how i would personally approach this would be by calling a series of
> [VOTE]
>> s as a way of assembling a consensus for your plan. i believe that the
>> first necessary step would be to prepare lang for promotion to the
> commons.
>>   if lang cannot achieve promotion, then the low level introspection
>> methods cannot be moved into there.
> It is good to start work in sandbox, it will be more freedom for
> experiments
> on introspection.We have nothing very useful for commons to publish at
> this
> time.

released components should not depend on code in the sandbox. therefore
code cannot be refactored from existing released components into the
sandbox.

what we're talking about here are the low level introspection utilities
which (in the main) already exist in the released commons components and
which have been tested and debugged. the point is that components will be
able to depend on lang rather than on the projects where the code
currently lives.

experiments on reflection and introspection can still happen in the
sandbox but they'll build on the solid, release-quality low level
introspection utilities contained in the commons proper.

- robert