commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:03:35 GMT
On 6/25/02 2:44 AM, "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@adeptra.com>
>> On 6/24/02 4:18 PM, "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com>
>>>
>>> I wouldn't bother just now; with Maven b5, which is just around the
> corder,
>>> we'll be autogenerating a build.xml which will run perfectly well in
> inside
>>> Ant for those who want to stick with Ant as well as from inside Gump
> too.
>>> Then I think Costin's reservations will no longer be issues. The old
>>> build*.xml files that contained maven related stuff can then be trashed
> and
>>> any callback code or extra targets will move to the new maven.xml file.
>>
>> How do people customize their build.xml?
>
> Customizations, like pre/post conditions, new dependencies, new targets or
> even redefinitions of exisitng targets are all going to go in the maven.xml
> which uses the same syntax as Ant.
>
> Though the maven.xml will actuallly be a Jelly script, so as well as
> traditional Ant syntax it can also support Velocity-like (Jexl) expressions
> for accessing the Maven Project Object Model (POM), XPath can be used if
> need be along with decent expression & looping & file walking support and a
> more powerful goal orientated library called Werkz for doing more powerful
> per/post action/goal and prerequisite stuff.. It should avoid those hacky
> Ant-callbacks that are in Maven b4.

James, if this computer thing doesn't work out for you, consider marketing.

:)

What I was getting at is *replacing* their actual build.xml with a maven
generated one sounds like a bad idea at first in that it would rekindle the
hard feelings of getting toes stepped on by the Maven Borg.

Aside from that, would be a great feature to auto-gen an ant script...

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.