commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:50:49 GMT
On 6/24/02 11:20 AM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 06:06:03 -0400
>> From: Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@adeptra.com>
>> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: unmavenising Commons projects
>>
>> On 6/23/02 10:31 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not particularly a fan of Velocity or DVSL syntax, but that isn't
>>> usually a huge issue for the documentation developer.
>>
>> In the interest of accuracy, I'd like to empahasize that the documentation
>> is in standard XML, the same XML that can be transformed with XSLT. ("We got
>> both brackets, < *and* >" :)
>>
>> It's the transformation software that uses DVSL (and therefore Velocity
>> template syntax).
>>

> Exactly.
>
> Which is why I said the documentation developer usually doesn't care -- he
> or she just uses XML in our favorite editor (nah, let's not go there for
> now :-).

Visual edlin4j ROCKS!

(LOL)

> But I (and the doc developers if they want to modify
> the look and feel) are stuck with your transformation templates
> unless we want to play with enough Velocity and DVSL to change 'em.

Well, one could just declare it a 'standard' and then all debate should
stop.

:)

I can't see why the xformation engine couldn't be a user defined thing in
Maven.  They can provide a set of DVSL templates by default, but let people
override wherever with whatever they want.   The Maven developers don't seem
to be stuck on on any One True Tool, standard or not, as Maven uses XSLT for
some transformations alongside DVSL.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.