commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: jexl again...
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:06:09 GMT
On 6/12/02 1:06 PM, "dion@multitask.com.au" <dion@multitask.com.au> wrote:

> The hassle I had with Jexl was using the context to set a variable to a
> value to be evaluated later. With Jexl, it meant I couldn't have a string
> with the same value as a variable name, i.e. setting 'name' to 'value'
> meant if I evaluated 'name' I always got 'value'. Good except that I'm
> trying to fit in with ant's property / value naming style.

Ah.  I think I understand what you mean.  Jelly adds the ${foo} decorations
to allow the distinction between references and constants, and to not
inflict one kind of indicator.  So jelly uses ${foo}, but others could do
$foo, %foo, <foo>, etc...  Jexl accomodates all by not inflicting one way on
the user.

If you wanted a constant string 'name', then just put single or double
quotes around it...

    'name'

Does that address what you were saying?  (I am wondering if I missed your
point...)

Geir

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
> Developers: http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers
>

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@adeptra.com>
> 06/13/02 12:59 AM
> Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>

>       To:     Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>       cc:
>       Subject:        Re: jexl again...
>

> On 6/12/02 11:09 AM, "dion@multitask.com.au" <dion@multitask.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Cool....I've just started the move to Jelly to handle this. It seems a
>> much cleaner implementation...?
>
> Much cleaner than?  Jelly uses Jexl...
>
>> --
>> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
>> Developers: http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers
>>

>> "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>
>> 06/12/02 08:05 PM
>> Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>>

>>       To:     "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>> <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>>       cc:
>>       Subject:        Re: jexl again...
>>

>> From: <dion@multitask.com.au>
>>> 1) Are expressions cacheable? i.e. if I create an expression and
> execute
>> it
>>> once, can I store it away in a Map and reevaluate it, rather than
>>> recreating it?
>>
>> FWIW Jelly creates Expression objects and caches them so that they are
>> reused inside a Script. The same Expression instance could be reused in
>> multiple threads too.
>>
>> James

>> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.