commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Logging: more classloader problems.
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:30:34 GMT
On 6/6/02 3:18 PM, "costinm@covalent.net" <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 6/6/02 2:08 PM, "costinm@covalent.net" <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Solution:
>>> Split commons-logging.jar in commons-logging-api.jar ( only the API and
>>> the LogFactoryImpl, no adapteer ) and commons-logging-impl.jar.
>>
>> :)
>
> If you knew that keeping the adapter in the same jar will brake
> tomcat, why didn't you say so ???  :-) I remember all kind of crazy
> arguments - but never saw this one.

I wanted to split out the factory impl from the api jar for other reasons,
feeling that the clean break between API and impl was good,  but wondered
about the classloader implications.

Of course, I didnĀ¹t realize it would break tomcat.  I would have said
something specific if I had.

The ":)" is just because the idea makes me happy.

> Actually the default logger ( used if no 'real' logger is found )
> and the JDK1.4 adapter will have to remain in the main jar ( unless
> we want to support an alternate impl. for JDK1.4 logging - is it
> even possible ? )

Why would it have to remain?

(I'll stop the xposting after this one and keep it on commons...)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.