commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [CLI] -D a special case?
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 00:16:27 GMT
>> I am wondering if the -D<name>=<value> case should be
>> treated as a special case.  This would require some
>> additional work for both the POSIX and GNU parsers. I
>> think that as the -D is associated with setting system
>> properties it should be treated as a special case.
>
> I have no problem using CLI now to deal with my -Dname
> or -Dname=value case.  I really think that this is something
> that's best left up to the application.

Thats because you are using the POSIX parser.  If you use
the GNU parser the "-Dname=value" is treated as the option.
I could check if the second character is an option and the
"=" character is also present in the option.  If
so then set its value to the rest of the string.  The value
would then be name=value.  What do you think of this?

>> I am +1 for only treating -D as a special case as it is
>> a specific well defined special case.  If someone can
>> provide a good argument for "-[a-z]+", I will follow
>> that route.
>
> I guess I'm confused.  Will -D -always- set a java System
> property?  If so, I think that's overstepping our bounds.
Thats fair enough.  I was just thinking that maybe this could
be turned on or off.  It is better to keep things as
straight forward as possible though.

-John K