commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [reflect] Method lookup
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:45:05 GMT

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 09:16 PM, Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I agree with you completely.  The only issue is that even though
> introspection in BeanUtils is perfect in terms of quality, it may not
> address some of the functional requirements other projects have for
> introspection.  For instance, JXPath needed its own version because of
> the specifics of InfoSet type conversions, the special status of
> ExpressionContext, the need to support DynamicPropertyHandler and some
> other issues.
>
> I believe the existence Reflect project is warranted if it can in fact
> be reused across all these projects with their specific requirements.
>
> The fact that BeanUtils has been so thorougly tested makes it a perfect
> source of information (and code) for Reflect.

i would personally recommend thinking about reusing as much of the low
level stuff in beanutils as is possible. it doesn't make sense to have two
solutions to the same (complex) problem in two different packages.

i think that it would make sense to consolidate the low level utility
stuff into a single component. since beanutils already has a body of
well-tested low level introspection operations, it would make sense to
consolidate them in beanutils. reflect would then focus on the higher
level issues and depend on beanutils for it's low level operations.

- robert