commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:14:28 GMT

costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>>I think, I will use Maven (I like "Maven encourages the use of a central
>>>repository of JARs"),
>>
>>Try centipede.
>>It uses commons' JJAR for it, uses the standard Gump descriptor and uses
>>integrates nicely with Ant.
>

> Can it build tomcat without replacing build.xml, using the gump
> descriptors ? Can it build Commons packages from the gump descriptors ?

Centipede is an enhancement to ant, in a sense that it makes ant
buildfiles able to use prebuild components.

This means that if you have a correct Gump descriptor, the
centipede.cent component can be called to build automatically.
But the buildfile is still there, Centipede enhances Ant.

The laters XMLProperty task that Ant has was part of Centipede BTW.

Currently centipede relies on a build script and is in every project
that uses it.
Next beta will not have this limitation.

> Can it build the whole jakarta from the gump descriptors ? Is it
> easier to use than gump ?

No, but it's getting there.
We are collaborating with Gump (currently only discussions) about how to
make Gump easier, and revive Alexandria, so that we all can play nicely
and separate concerns (Gump multi-builds, Centipede builds, Forrest
sites, Alexandria docs, etc...).

> If the answer is yes - we should stop discussing about Maven ( which
> aparently is not intended as a gump replacement, but only for doc/site
> generation and many other features ), and start discussing about
> using centipede to build commons ( and tomcat, etc ).

:-)

www.krysalis.org

             - verba volant, scripta manent -