commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph.R...@dlr.de
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly build.xml
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:06:28 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
>[snip]
> I guess it comes down to use cases; if you just need serialization to use
> XML format, and don't particularly care what it looks like or how verbose it
> is, then JDK 1.4 XML serialiation is fine. Betwixt tries to make less
> verbose 'nicer to edit' XML so takes a different approach to JDK1.4 XML
> serialization.
>
> James

Exactly this is our point of view, for quick, prototyping, or flexible use-cases
we use our generic XML. For predefined/published interfaces we use
implementation specific XML.

The diference between our XMLConfig and JDK1.4 is that our reader reads
the DOM and instantiates the objects upon demand, JDK instantiates everything
when reading it in to deserialize it (correct me if I'm wrong with this
assumption). Our pattern thus allows quick startup time of applications
(becaus hundreds of java classes do not need to be loaded during
deserialization), also random access of configuration items is possible
- thats why we called XmlConfiguration!

--
:) Christoph Reck