commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [Avalon Packages -> Commons] Move Status - Executive Proposal
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:05:34 GMT
First of all, thanks to everyone that is giving a hand in this move.
We appreciate it :-)

Since there is good interest, the discussion will continue in Commons,
and I will continue my coordination effort.

Below are the packages listed one by one, along with the issues and
proposals.
Whoever wants to be in charge of the move of a package, please put his
name under it, so that I know I don't have to move the stuff myself ;-)

What I *don't* want to see is that our packages become duplications of
one already there, it would be useless.

Commons (both sandbox and proper) is growing with so many projects that
it's starting to make sense to have projects with mini-projects.
This means having, for example, thread in the lang project, but with the
code kept internally separate.

  io
----
[unassigned]
No issues arised to date.
Will be merged with commons-io

  bzip2, tar, zip
-----------------
[unassigned]
No issues arised to date.
Proposed package: compress
Io is more generic, and it's better to focus on compression.
Need to keep codebases separate:
  compress.bzip
  compress.tar
  compress.zip

Need to merge with Ant versions.
Need to discuss on Ant-dev a technical solution to make Ant build
himself easily; recursive dependency is a problem.

  thread, threadcontext
------------------------
[unassigned]
Will go under lang as
lang.thread
lang.threadcontext

  cli
------
[unassigned]
Needs to be merged with commons-cli.

  collections
--------------
[unassigned]
Discussion is very vivid on this, and developers have already committed
stuff (YAY! :-)
Please enhance this with what still needs to be done.

  util
------
[unassigned]
To be merged in commons-util

  i18n
------
[unassigned]
Proposed project: commons-i18n

  naming
--------
[unassigned]
Proposed project: commons-naming
Needs to gain stuff from Tomcat.
Suggestions welcome.

  baxter
--------
[unassigned]
Easy MBeans.
Needs merge with Modeler.
Help needed.

There are still about as many other packages in excalibur that can be
put in commons, and will.

Let's concentrate on these for now; I think it's a challenge enough ATM ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -