commons-dev mailing list archives

From St├ęphane MOR <stephane_lis...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Proposals ...
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 03:52:56 GMT

>Please note that Apache Avalon already has a very nice and flexible
>Configuration object.  The interface for it is located here:
>
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon/src/java/org/apache/avalon/
>framework/configuration/Configuration.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vn
>d.viewcvs-markup
>

>Could you let me know how your's differs?

Hi Berin,

I looked at Avalon's Configuration package a while ago when I used Avalon.
It is nice, but I stopped using it when I stopped using Avalon (new
projects didn't need/fit into it).

The main difference is in the goal : I need to be able to use legacy
configuration files, used by other applications,
as well as properties files. This includes being able to treat files
such as :

------------------- samples -----------------
#FIELD1    FIELD2    FIELD3
leonard        cohen        singer
luc                besson      director

or :

section1:
    test=value
    foo=bar

section2: ...

So, technically, the second difference raises : I don't want to use the
XML file as the proper configuration, as in Avalon
(tell me if I'm wrong), such as :

------------------------------------
<fields>
  <fieldA>value1</fieldA>
  <foo>bar</foo>
</fields>
------------------------------------

but I want to build an XML descriptor of a configuration file. (A sort
of configuration's configuration ...) more like the
commons Configuration package. With this configuration file you would
then be able to read (AND WRITE, which is another difference)
configuration files for your applications, which may be every
application (in my case, Samba, FreeSwan, Shorewall, my Turbine app, etc.).

The XML descriptor is meant to be constant (well, adaptable when
needed), so that it can be parsed easily and confronted to a DTD and/or
a schema. Avalon configurations can't be natively confronted to a DTD as
the structure is very free and one can add whatever field he wants.

I hope that those short explanations shed some light ...

I know that I have some very specific needs, tied to my applications'
goals. This is why I asked if there is an actual interest in such a package.
Though, many times I feel that I cross other projects needs (commons'
Configuration at least), so I wondered if that could be thought of with
the people working on these projects, and maybe mixed.

I saw that the commons Configuration package was attempting to build a
framework to deal with XML config files. As using XML config
files is a growing practice (though I never encountered any in the
applications config files I has to manage), I think that such a framework
could help dealing with them.

>I would like to reduce duplication amicably if at all possible.

Agreed at 200% !
This was actually the whole point of my message !!

Cheers,
St├ęphane