commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Betwixt] Some ideas
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:27:09 GMT

On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 02:07 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertdonkin@mac.com>
>> On Friday, June 14, 2002, at 05:08 AM, James Strachan wrote:
>>> From: "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebourne@eurobell.co.uk>

>>> This sounds cool I think. The use of ID/IDREF is optional anyways so it
>>> shouldn't break anything.
>>
>> this is an improvement and it should be quick and easy. i'll take a look
>> at this.
>
> I would ideally like to see the id generator separated from Betwixt. Not
> sure where it fits, lang maybe, but thats still in the sandbox and is very
> quiet. Basically, I don't see id generation as something specific to
> betwixt/XML.

i agree that it isn't specifically betwixt related but it's something that
can easily be factored out later.

i think that maybe one of the differences between excalibur and the
commons is that avalon is more concerned with designing the optimal
solution whereas in the commons the growth is more organic. i'd rather add
the feature to betwixt now and then move to a common solution later when
it emerges than wait.

- robert