commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] move Betwixt into commons proper (was Re: Betwixt &MethodUpdaters)
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:20:16 GMT
From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <>
> I would appreciate it if you can add the response you gave me below to the
> Betwixt online FAQ. I have people asking me once in a while what tool to
> for java-xml mapping.

> BTW, does betwixt unmarshall DOM nodes as well as JavaBeans?

You mean take DOM nodes and turn them into JavaBeans?  I'm not sure why
anyone would want to do that, but it should be possible to write a DOMReader
that reads a DOM rather than SAX (like the BeanReader); most of the work of
Betwixt lies in the XMLIntrospector so this can be reused when other I/O
mechanisms are developed.

One new I/O mechanism that'd be useful for Betwixt would be to write a
SAXWrtier that would allow Betwixt to work nicely in SAX based XML pipeline
engines like Cocoon and Jelly. (I've just added this to the todo list).

> How about JavaBeans with DOM nodes as attributes.

Why would you want to do that?

> I think Betwixt will be appropriate for implementing <xf:instance/>
> in the XMLForm framework of Cocoon 2.1. I plan to try it as soon as
> is released.

Incidentally I think Jelly could well be useful with Cocoon, particularly as
its based on the same XML pipeline idea.

It might be cool if Jelly had a Betwixt tag library so that betwixt could be
used inside Jelly script to create beans from XML, process or validate them
then output XML that Cocoon can style.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>