commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] creation of commons-users mailing list
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 05:47:56 GMT
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 06:15:05AM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> Martin Cooper <> wrote:
> > Should commons-dev folks be automatically subscribed to this new list? It
> > doesn't seem like that happened, but the new list won't be useful with
> > nobody subscribed to it, and people will just keep posting their questions
> > here.
> >
> > Perhaps if we automatically subscribe everyone initially, then we can start
> > telling folks "you should ask this on the -user list" without sending them
> > into a black hole. And anyone who really doesn't want to be on the -user
> > list can always unsubscribe.
> Nobody asked me to do that... And it's something I'm very fond of... I
> wouldn't just like to be subbed to a ML I didn't ask to...

Absolutely. It would break the 'contract' I entered with when I subscribed to commons-dev. Who knows what
infrastructure people have based on that contract? I can tell you my
.procmailrc would break :) And mail archivers like marc.theaimsgroup
would get upset.. etc etc.

I'd say, take a roll-call of committers after a week or so if it looks
to be a problem.

(sub'ed to commons-user)

> Also, because, the little nifty beautiful message you get sent when you
> subscribe for the first time tells you which address you used to subscribe,
> and a lot more (like, how to friggin' unsubscribe).
>     Pier

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message