commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:25:47 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:51:33 -0700
> From: Jon Scott Stevens <jon@latchkey.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: unmavenising Commons projects
>
> on 6/23/02 12:03 PM, "costinm@covalent.net" <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:
>
> > Removing the ant file in a component without a vote is unacceptable
> > regardless of what Maven does.
> >
> > Costin
>
> People used to say that about Makefiles and build.xml files. =)

The usability difference between Makefiles and build.xml files is so
obvious that no marketing was required.  The functionality difference
between do-it-yourself build.xml files and Maven is clear, but requires
you to buy in to a set of conventions that you didn't have any voice in
developing, and don't necessarily address everyone's needs.

I share Costin's annoyance with Mavenites who think anyone who doesn't
use it is stupid, and don't plan to convert any of the commons packages
I'm involved in until after a 1.0 release, and until after agreement from
the other committers on those packages.

This whole process might get accelerated a lot if the Maven propoents
would ask around the other Jakarta projects for what *they* want a build
system to do, outside the community that is already familiar with it or
working on it.

> -jon

Craig