commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Deprecating and Refactoring
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:14:23 GMT
Hey Jonathan,

I don't have a problem with deprecation per se, but
it's not a trivial event.

Deprecation is useful when you want to make a clean
break from some older code in favor of some much
better but incompatible code (many of the deprecated
AWT classes probably fall into this category).

But IMO using deprecation as a way to
rename/reorganize classes or methods (unless those
classes are _extremely_ confusing in their current
state) can be bad practice.  One big problem is that,
because deprecated classes are not maintained, it's
typically only a matter of time before that class'
dependencies get out of sync.  This means that the
deprecated class may stop working or, even worse,
require a developer to revisit it to clear up
compilation problems.  If you can, you're better off
just documenting any methods and classes that are not
named optimally.

- Morgan

--- Jonathan Carlson <joncrlsn2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Someone in a Collections thread previously expressed
> concern over deprecating some things that might be
> used in
> production code.  What's wrong with that?
>
> The whole purpose of deprecation is to allow
> production
> code to keep running while informing new development
> that
> they are treading on old territory.  These utilities
> will
> eventually become bloated and difficult to learn if
> the
> commiters are afraid of deprecating old code when
> better
> techniques come up.
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> Jonathan