commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Carlson <joncrl...@yahoo.com>
Subject [Collections] ComparableComparator - nulls OK
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:37:55 GMT
I'd like to make the case for a ComparableComparator that
allows the sorting of nulls to the bottom.  This could be a
flag to set on the existing class or another Comparator
called something like NullableComparableComparator (or
ComparableNullComparator?).

This becomes a big issue when sorting a collection of
things based on one of their getter methods with generic
components like the TransformingComparator I just
submitted.  Too often the returned value can be a null.

It's not too hard to write my own (I already have), but I
prefer having things like this standardized in one library
rather than written differently for each project.

My two cents.  I'd appreciate feedback, even negative
feedback if it's appropriate.

Jonathan

=====
Jonathan Carlson