commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] move Betwixt into commons proper (was Re: Betwixt &MethodUpdaters)
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:38:01 GMT
Hi Ivelin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <>
> James,
> Since Betwixt is approaching release and there are several projects which
> use it for real, do you plan to run a set of benchmarks against the main
> competitors: Castor, JAXB, etc. ?
> With the wide selection available a publicly published set of benchmarks
> help people understand what each tool is best in.

Great idea. Though I think that runtime performance is not necessarily the
sole criteria on which a product should be chosen. Developer productivity is
important, as is the problem you're trying to solve.

So I think it'd be great to document which tools is best for which jobs.

Where JAXP and Castor are strong is when you have a well agreed schema (XML
Schema for Castor or a DTD in the case of JAXB, last time I looked) and want
to generate beans for parsting & processing the XML.

Betwixt is strong is when you've already got the beans and just want a nice
looking XML format to serialize/deserialize your beans. Or you want to
automate the creation of Digsester rules using some bean naming conventions.

I've added this to the TODO list on the website...

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>