commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] move Betwixt into commons proper (was Re: Betwixt &MethodUpdaters)
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:38:01 GMT
Hi Ivelin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <ivelin@apache.org>
> James,
>

> Since Betwixt is approaching release and there are several projects which
> use it for real, do you plan to run a set of benchmarks against the main
> competitors: Castor, JAXB, etc. ?
> With the wide selection available a publicly published set of benchmarks
can
> help people understand what each tool is best in.

Great idea. Though I think that runtime performance is not necessarily the
sole criteria on which a product should be chosen. Developer productivity is
important, as is the problem you're trying to solve.

So I think it'd be great to document which tools is best for which jobs.

Where JAXP and Castor are strong is when you have a well agreed schema (XML
Schema for Castor or a DTD in the case of JAXB, last time I looked) and want
to generate beans for parsting & processing the XML.

Betwixt is strong is when you've already got the beans and just want a nice
looking XML format to serialize/deserialize your beans. Or you want to
automate the creation of Digsester rules using some bean naming conventions.

I've added this to the TODO list on the website...

James