commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] bug: output is in reverse order of input...
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:53:19 GMT

From: "Jon Scott Stevens" <jon@latchkey.com>
> Say I have a XML file like this:
>
> <scarab-issues>
>   <module>
>     <name>
>     </name>
>   </module>
>   <issues>
>     <issue>
>         <id></id>
>     </issue>
>   </issues>
> </scarab-issues>
>
> If I print the beans out using BeanWriter, I'm getting the output like
this:

> <scarab-issues>
>   <issues>
>     <issue>
>         <id></id>
>     </issue>
>   </issues>
>   <module>
>     <name>
>     </name>
>   </module>
> </scarab-issues>
>
> Clearly not good.

This was done originally by design. The XML introspector decides the
ordering of the bean properties. You can configure this order using a
BeanInfo. Or you can change this order via a .betwixt file for your bean.
The problem with using the input XML document as the decider of the order of
properties, is what happens if lots of different orderings are used in
different XML documents (or things are missing)? Which order wins?

Though I do concur, it might be nice to let the parsing of XML order the
XMLBeanInfo automatically as it seems like a common use case. The way the
ordering works right now is not ideal. I've added this issue to the
todo.xml.

James