commons-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:52:04 GMT
> I have a problem with forcing people to use Maven ( or any other similar
> tool ), at least for tasks where ant can do a perfectly fine job,
> and compiling some java to a jar is one of them.
>
> Especially in commons - where the goal is to have the components shared
> and co-developed by all jakarta.

One of the things I find annoying whenever I want to build a new jakarta
project is to track down where all the dependencies are specified, and
fiddling with the build properties or build.xml directly to get the
dependencies to match up with where I have some of the dependencies and
then tracking down and downloading the rest.  And its pretty much
guaranteed that if I downloaded the released binary version, the build
system will be set up out of the box to use the source distribution or
vice versa.

It takes about as much time to install maven for the first time as to do
this for one project/component.  And then I am fairly confident that if
I try to build another mavenized project, I check out the source and
type 'ant' or 'ant jar', it is going to build without any of the
previously mentioned hassles.

So I think the more components that switch to maven the better.  That is
why I am arguing that components be allowed to switch in a way that is
as easy as possible.  And requiring a component to maintain dual build
systems past the point where the developers on the project are
comfortable with the new system is not going to help adoption.
Hopefully something can be worked out with maven generating the
build.xml.

john mcnally