commons-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:53:55 GMT

> The goal of commons is to create software that is shared ( in both
> development and use ) by jakarata projects, and I think it is against
> the goals of jakarta-commons to create this kind of fragmentation
> in the build system. Ant is the common standard for all jakarta projects.

Is there a set of targets that should be required as well?  Or is it
enough that the default target at least give a usable jar?

If a component uses some other system to generate documentation is it
required that that same functionality be present as an ant target?

I presume a component should be able to require the optional tasks, is
there any subset of targets that should not be allowed to require it.

> If you also want a maven, centipede, Makefiles/configure or whatever
> else - fine, but removing the ant build is wrong IMHO.
> If a project can't easily build a commons component - it's likley
> it'll not use it.

Is the proposal by Jason viable? That components be allowed to generate
an ant based build.xml (and commit it to cvs)?  Or would you not use a
component in which the normal process was not to edit the build.xml
directly?

john mcnally