commons-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:42:55 GMT
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:12, costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> I don't remember seeing any proposal or vote on requiring maven for
> the builds of commons components.

Where does it say a vote is required for a component to choose a build
system, other than the usual vote by committers to the component?

> Given the goals of commons I think it is completely wrong to add those
> requirements without a formal proposal.
>
> We do have a requirement minimising external dependencies, and
> the commons components must be built and used by people who use
> a variety of build systems.

The requirement minimizing external dependencies is useful for users of
the components.  Whether a component is built using maven or directly
using ant does not affect whether the component can be used within a
larger project.

> Again, I have nothing against providing an optional build file for
> maven and/or centipede - but I think it is a very serious issue if
> commons components can't be built with plain ant and minimal
> pain.

Your requirement that any component wanting to use a standardized build
system also keep a freestyle version that must be kept up-to-date
removes the benefit of using the standardized version.  Keeping two
build systems that must be maintained separately is not a reasonable
compromise.

john mcnally