commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:20:05 GMT
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 15:46, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> I think it's a good idea.

As I mentioned in a previous email the next version of Maven won't
require a build.xml file to be present and I have no problem with there
being a legacy build system.

> I see no problem with supporting maven ( or centipede, or anything else ),
> but I'm strongly -1 on requiring any of them to build a commons
> component.
>
> That's an official veto for any component I'm a commiter on.
> I can live with a build-maven.xml and a build-centipede.xml, as long as
> build.xml remains and can be used to build.
>
> Ant is the build system we use, if someone wants to use something
> else - that's fine ( including maven or Makefiles ).
>
> I personally think this should be the official policy for the whole
> jakarta-commons project, given the fact that many projects are using
> those components.

If we are going to do that then we should also specify a standard which
is the point of Maven: to unify the build process. Commons components
have a bunch of different build systems and it's very annoying for
various people trying to build things. So if we are going to have a
policy then we should settle on a standard ant build file format. This
way, at least for projects using Maven, a standard ant build system can
be generated.

If this is the commons and the baseline is Ant and you want a policy
then it's time to pick a format for the build files because having
different configuration mechanisms for different components is just as
bad, IMO, as using Maven in some places, Centipede in others and
straight Ant build files in others.

> Costin
>

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Currently we have 10 mavenised projects [to my tallying].
> >
> > commons:
> >
> > cli
> > configuration
> > email
> > graph2
> > jelly
> > net
> > util
> > xo
> >
> > commons-sandbox:
> >
> > betwixt
> > cli
> >
> > I'm concerned that these changes happened to the build.xml files making
> > those projects require Maven. I'd like to suggest that we restore the old
> > build.xml and add a build-maven.xml file as is suggested in the Maven
> > documentation.
> >
> > Or that we just roll these build.xml's back and use a script like the
> > maven2 script.
> >
> > Hen
> >

> > --
jvz.