commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject RE: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:32:07 GMT
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:22, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Mainly:
>
> 1) Maven is in rapid development. When b5 is released, it will mean
> upgrading all Commons projects.

That's not true. With b5 a build.xml file won't be required so
delegators won't have to be twiddled with and though it is in continuing
development the auto updating facility does work. One of the primary
goals of Maven is to make the transition easier but in this last burst
of changes people have moved ahead of the b4 release which does cause
problems.

> 2) I see no documentation in the Commons projects telling me which version
> of Maven we need. Furthermore, I don't believe it is at all easy to run
> multiple versions of maven as the same user.

It should be handled for you automatically but if this isn't working
then we can work something out. Having multiple versions of Maven
installed will definitely happen and we need to deal with it.

> 3) There is no need to use build.xml with Maven anymore. By rolling them
> back we can have both the old system and the new system working fine.

For b5 the build.xml file won't be necessary and then there can be a
complete legacy build.xml file. But it should be generated from the
project descriptor. At that point we could probably add something to
generate the legacy build when the project.xml file changes.

> Hen
>
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Brekke, Jeff wrote:
>
> > -1, why go back?  I don't understand what the problem is.

> > Jeffrey D. Brekke                                   Quad/Graphics
> > Jeff.Brekke@qg.com                              http://www.qg.com

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org