commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release vote for JXPath 1.0
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:37:11 GMT

On Sun, 2002-06-16 at 17:06, Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:
> The problem is with the count.  The tests have internal structure - sorry,
> that might be bad idea, at least misleading.
>
> The actual number of tests hiding behind the 8 you counted is about 350, you
> need to count each XPath that is being tested, because they are designed to
> provide very good coverage of the overall codebase.

I try to use a more direct approach testing classes and not indirect,
where possible. It helps debugging in the long term and catching
possible errors, which doesn't necessarily have to break the testcases.

As an example for your code base :

The QName.java equals method.
I would make a testcase for that object containing at least the
equalsmethod, so you know all the tests are failing, because your equals
is broken.

> I hope that addresses your concern.

That's why I said that i am not -1'ing the release, since everyone has a
different approach on using tests, which isn't necessarily a bad thing..

Mvgr,
Martin

BTW the code is looking good ;)