commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Betwixt & MethodUpdaters
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:33:40 GMT
Hi Jason

From: "Jason van Zyl" <jvanzyl@zenplex.com>
> Hi James,
>
> Is is possible to control at which point updaters are called with newly
> created objects?
>
> In Maven the project object has a method:
>
> void addDistribution(Distribution distribution)
> {
>     distributions.add(distribution);
> }
>
> But I would additionally like to place the distributions in a Map so
> that I can subsequently look them up but it appears that the
> distribution object added is not yet complete.
>
> This isn't a huge deal because I can lazily initialize the distribution
> Map I need but I was just wondering if the addXXX() method can be
> delayed until the object has been fully populated.

Sorry this took a while to get to but I've modified betwixt (the
BeanCreateRule) to do exactly this. So the addDistribution() method will
only be called when the Distribution object is fully configured. This makes
lots of sense and allows setter or adder methods to use the properties of
the child bean to make indices or other custom processsing etc.

To test this works I added a JUnit assertion to the ScarabSettings class
when adding new GlobalAttribute objects that they must have a 'name'
property set before the addGlobalAttribute() method is called.

James