commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitri Plotnikov <dmi...@apache.org>
Subject [JXPath] configurable type converter
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:08:55 GMT
I have made the type converter configurable for JXPath.

Of course, the right place for that configuration is JXPathContext and
that's where I initially added the API.  However, the rippling effect on
APIs was overwhelming - I had to change dozens of files to pass the type
converter to methods that up until now relied on the global conversion
routines. After a couple of hours of sheer struggle, I reverted everything
and made the configurable type converter global.

Having a global type converter when there is a context to associate it with
is of course bad design.  I realize it. But I am not sure I want to
introduce so many API changes so close to the release.

If anybody thinks that we should bite the bullet and add support for
context-specific type converters now, please speak up.  It is not a big deal
to add, the public APIs will be mostly uneffected,  but the internal API
changes will be everywhere.

Thanks,

- Dmitri