commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@eurobell.co.uk>
Subject Re: Collections
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:34:02 GMT
From: Ola Berg <ola.berg@arkitema.se>

> I see that the Collections package has pretty much the same classes that I
had, and that you wanted more ideas. What does any of you committers say
about:

> Filtering collections, that guarantees that only objects that matches an
ObjectFilter (sorry, I mean Predicate) are added?

I've thought about this but not got round to it

> TypeFilter(Predicate), that only evaluates to true if the object is of a
certain type.

PredicateUtils.instanceofPredicate()

> (Consequently) Typed collections, that guarantees that only objects of a
certain type is stored?

PredicateUtils.predicateXxx()  - warning method may be renamed

> ReadAheadIterator - you know what I mean

I don't actually !

> Mixing Iterator - that mixes two or more Iterators either by joining them
or shuffling them

IteratorChain does some of this

> Converting iterators (or is it Transformers to you?)

TransformIterator

> Listenable collections that throws update events to listeners.

Another idea I'm interested in

> ObjectStream (an iterator with a different contract, no more objects means
null, which means that you don\'t have to evaluate until it is needed)

Not sure I quite follow, or why it would be useful

> I have them (and a few more) in my own, old and lousy nu.viggo.* set of
packages, they could easily be rewritten and added to yours. (well, not the
Event throwing ones, they exist at the moment only in my head).
> Should I provide any, all or none? I am in your hands, dear committers,
just say a word and I\'m all yours.

Collections is definitely a vibrant part of commons, so we are looking for
input. We're definitely going through a naming/tidying process at the
moment. As noted elsewhere, [Collections] in the title will help your
messages stand out.

Stephen