commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: commons.lang addition
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:19:19 GMT
> From: Stephen Colebourne [mailto:scolebourne@btopenworld.com]
>
> Berin,
> +1 for it being in commons.
> -1 for it being in Lang - but only because to do so breaks
> the charter of Lang. (Which is to provide methods to assist
> with the neo-primitive types in Java - Objects, Strings and Numbers)
>
> Now I'm not saying that I agree with that definition, but the
> current state of affairs is that every distinct bit of
> functionality goes in its own sandbox project.  Thus a System
> project would seem appropriate. (See also core architecture
> thread). Of course that will probably mean your code will
> never be released :-(  but what the heck - nobody here seems
> bothered by that at the moment.

Ok, so if it should be in commons, and it should have its own
"charter" I.e. System utils, should the Thread stuff we want
to move from Avalon go in this new project--giving reason for
something to be released?

Or since this utility is used mainly to determine the number
of processors so that we can have intelligent thread pool sizing,
should this utility go in Commons.Thread?