commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:59:08 GMT
From: <costinm@covalent.net>
> > > We do have a requirement minimising external dependencies, and
> > > the commons components must be built and used by people who use
> > > a variety of build systems.
> >
> > The requirement minimizing external dependencies is useful for users of
> > the components.  Whether a component is built using maven or directly
> > using ant does not affect whether the component can be used within a
> > larger project.
>
> It does - people working on a project should be able to build easily
> all the components from commons they are using. Don't forget those
> components are shared by all projects - we all use them and maintain
> them.

I'm definitely not an expert in this area, which is why I'm commenting.
Maven is a mystery to me. It seems to have some purpose to share build
mechanisms between projects, to produce lots of fancy supporting docs and
info etc.etc. But I don't 'get it' - I suspect I'm not alone.

All I realy want is to type ant in the directory and compile the code. No
more. In commons this seems especially important. (Confession: I use Eclipse
so I don't use ant directly, thus hadn't realised how much this was an
issue)

It seems to me that maven is useful for committers (who understand it). I am
less convinced that someone just downloading the source of an individual
commons components will be very pleased to find they need a maven.jar to run
ant. Liklihood is they won't have even heard of maven.

Stephen