commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Chang Sau Sheong" <ssch...@elipva.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient with HTTPS
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:25:07 GMT
Thanks -- but I'm not going through any proxies to go out. I have direct
connection to the Internet, which allows me to connect to the HTTPS server
without any proxies. Do I need a proxy to go through?

.sausheong
elipva Ltd

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sachin Hamirwasia" <SachinH@Singnet.com.sg>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 11:11 PM
Subject: RE: HttpClient with HTTPS

> I think your problem is to do with the fact that the current version of
> HTTPClient does not have proxy support for SSL connections. So when you
try
> to connect to an HTTP server via a proxy server, the HTTP client actually
> makes an SSLSocket connection to the proxy server itself. But obviously
> since the proxy server does not know SSL protocol, the handshake won't go
> through and hence the exception. The same worked with HttpsURLConnection,
> since the default implementation does handle proxy tunnelling properly.
>
> Try using your same code to connect to a server within your intranet and
> don't use the proxy server. It will work.
>
> Look at my earlier note on enabling proxy support on HTTPClient. You will
> need to rebuild the library.
>
> Regards, Sachin

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.write(HttpConnection.java:363)
> > >         at

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.print(HttpConnection.java:433)
> > >         at

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequestLine(HttpMethodBase
> > > .java:715)
> > >         at

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.jav
> > > a:692)
> > >
> > > With the latest nightly release (12 June 2002) I can't get a
connection
> at
> > > all!
> > >
> > > java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
> > >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
> > >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
> > >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
> > >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
> > >         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
> > >         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
> > >         at javax.net.ssl.SSLSocket.<init>([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
> > >         at
> > >
> com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
> > >         at

com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket([DashoPro-V1.
> > > 2-120198])
> > >         at
> > >
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:284)
> > >         at

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:466
> > > )
> > >         at

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:320)