commons-dev mailing list archives

From "SkyLeach" <skyle...@skyleach.com>
Subject Re: REPOST: Handlers for HttpClient?
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:20:31 GMT
Thanks for the response, that is what I was looking for.  Debates about how
pretty this implementation by the JCP is aside, it does work.  You can do it
both programatically or by passing the option to the JVM when your class
loads.  The benefit of doing this as opposed to locking a URL protocol
enabled applicaiton to one particular implementation of an HttpClient is
that you can mix and match your handlers.

I was also wondering why/if this project:
http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/
which is licensed under the LGPL could be integrated with the Apache Commons
HTTPClient project.
It has support for the handler:
http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/advanced_info.html#urlcon
proxies: http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/advanced_info.html#proxies
pipelines:
http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/advanced_info.html#pipelining

So if this package is more advanced (and the code seems pretty clean) can
they be integrated and exteded into one package?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gunnlaugur Thor Briem" <gthb@dimon.is>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 1:51 PM
Subject: RE: REPOST: Handlers for HttpClient?

I haven't been involved in the HttpClient project, but I can
still answer Matt's question a little more clearly: no, this
hasn't been done. For this to work, there would have to be a
package named org.apache.jakarta.httpclient.http (and another
named org.apache.jakarta.httpclient.https to handle the https
protocol) and they would each have to contain a class named
Handler, and there are no such packages or classes currently
in CVS.

- Gulli

HttpClient?