commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [Reflect] Summary of points and relationship with BeanUtils
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:27:52 GMT
From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertdonkin@mac.com>
> released components should not depend on code in the sandbox.

Agreed. (Although I'm sure it has happened)

> therefore
> code cannot be refactored from existing released components into the
> sandbox.

I think this is a timing issue. Promoting Lang to Commons will probably only
occur when Lang is ready for a release. But, for Lang to be ready for a
release it would need to already have the low level reflection code in it.
Chicken and egg.

Now we could promote Lang to commons proper now and not release it - but
that doesn't strike me as the right approach, and its not ready yet. It
strikes me that the process of gathering useful low level reflection methods
into one class in Lang is best done while that Lang is still in the sandbox.
It just gives us greater elbow room in the refactoring.

> what we're talking about here are the low level introspection utilities
> which (in the main) already exist in the released commons components and
> which have been tested and debugged. the point is that components will be
> able to depend on lang rather than on the projects where the code
> currently lives.
>
> experiments on reflection and introspection can still happen in the
> sandbox but they'll build on the solid, release-quality low level
> introspection utilities contained in the commons proper.

I would agree with this if it was "experiments on reflection and
introspection can still happen in the sandbox but they'll build on the
solid, release-quality low level *reflection* utilities contained in the
commons proper."  I am arguing that introspection will be the role of
BeanUtils and Introspect. This distinction is important to me.

You suggested a vote. I'm not sure at this stage that there is anything to
vote on?

Stephen