commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Commons-Avalon:collections] code integration
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:47:04 GMT
> From: Jack, Paul [mailto:pjack@sfaf.org]
> >
> > Their support causes more issues than they solve.
>
> I really don't see how their support causes *any* issues.

Ok.  Current implementation is a circular buffer backed by
an array.  Arrays are quicker to deal with, so imagine the
following:

Contents of array are Integers objects:

    1|2|3|4|5|6

buffer.remove(Integer(4));

The buffer only keeps track of the beginning and the end of
the array.  By supporting the remove(Object) we now have to
either account for the missing object, or we have to copy
the elements in the array around.  It is a lot of complexity
that I would rather not deal with.

However, as this is OSS, if you want to deal with it, go for it.