commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Collection] algorythms was [Commons-Avalon:collections] code integration
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:42:17 GMT
> From: Juozas Baliuka [mailto:baliuka@centras.lt]
>
> Hi,
> I want to ask about Map implementation (BucketMap).
> Is it like HashMap (linear probing) or something different
> like "double hashing". If it is "linear probing", is it plans
> to implement alternatyve algorythms ?

Not sure what you mean.  My implementation was rather
simplistic.  Basically there is an array of buckets.
Each Bucket represents a hash value (hashCode() % n).
Synchronization occurs on the bucket.

I don't pretend to be an algorithmic genious.  I just
hacked it together and saw it did a better job than
HashMap at removing the race conditions (because
HashMap is not threadsafe), and better than a
Synchronized Map because there was less thread contention.

Anything more than that, I couldn't tell you.  I actually
got the algorithm I used from a magazine article, and
hacked in the Map support that you do see in there.