commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [Reflect] Summary of points and relationship with BeanUtils
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:26:37 GMT
From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertdonkin@mac.com>
> my major concerns about the low level introspection code are:
>
> a. we should not duplicate the introspection code
>
> b. the introspection code should be in a component which:
>
> 1. is in the commons proper
> 2. is released now (or will be released very soon)
> 3. has very few dependencies

[Lang] complies to 3, hopefully will comply to 2, and thus complies to 1.

> >  The section above
> > clearly says I'm in the camp that says commons needs a little
refactoring,

> refactoring makes sense but it should be done in a way that minimizes the
> impact on released components. the refactored code must be made available
> in released components (rather than in the sandbox).
>
> > even if that might have some (minor) public impact on the API.
>
> there's no reason why it should have any impact on the public API. the
> usual house policy is that we delegate and deprecate.

This comment was directed at Predicate, Transformer and Closure in
[collections]. (If they were to move to [Lang] - where they should be - this
change would not be backwardsly compatable (sensibly)). Actually, having
just written that, I think I now know how it could be back compat ;-)

[BeanUtils] MethodUtils can be easily deprecated were a move to [Lang] to
take place. The methods would just forward to the new class. Thus no pubic
API change.

One thing to bear in mind is that [Lang] already has reflection code in
Classes. Its not the most obvious class name, so I didn't spot it at first.

Robert, do you accept that [Lang] could/should/will be a home for low level
'dumb' reflection helpers?

Note: At the moment I'm holding off creating a new sandbox component until
this thread reaches some form of conclusion.

Stephen